Thursday, February 12, 2009

You Learn Something New Everyday...

Happens a lot at our house.....me or Mark will be sitting on the computer in the kitchen doing whatever, the kids are at the table either eating, playing with cars or drawing. So one day a few weeks ago, Jonathan had some paper and crayons, and announces he was going to draw a picture of a "dracula". A WHAT? I ask. A "dracula", Mommy, he says, you know, the largest vegetable in the world. I'm like HUH? And I said "What's a dracula?" Then he sighs, turns around with barely hidden disdain, and says very slowly: "Mommy, I said a JACK FRUIT." Okay, hmmmm, that cleared THAT up! What the heck is a jack fruit anyway? I decided to ask him, while simultaneously asking Wikipedia.

Well knock me over with a feather, the kid was right! Well, almost right. Technically, it's a fruit, not a vegetable, but I do think it is classed as the largest fruit in the world. Grows in Caribbean locales. I happen to glance at what Jonathan is drawing (from whatever memory he has) and it is strangely looking exactly like the picture on the computer which he hasn't seen. By now, I'm more than curious. "Jonathan. Did you learn about Jack fruit in school?" More disdain. "Nooooooo, idiot Mommy. I learned about jack fruit on Toot and Puddle."

AHA. Finally. Well, at least the television is good for something, right? And for those of you who are uninformed, Toot and Puddle is a show on Noggin that not even I knew about until just after Christmas. Maybe it's new, maybe it comes on during dinner hour when the tv is most definitely off. Or maybe it just slipped through my radar. The things you learn. Whether you want to or not!!!

No comments: