Wednesday, June 4, 2008

I (HEART) My New Cast-Iron Griddle!

Remember a few weeks (months?) ago I was talking about replacing some of my Teflon cookware with cast iron? Well, I'm three brand-new pieces into it, and loving every minute. So far all the pieces I've purchased have been pre-seasoned, so I didn't have to worry about doing it myself. They are all non-stick 'cause of the seasoning, and they all cook wonderfully. Particularly this griddle. This griddle is the 12 inch Pro-Logic by Lodge. A little nicer than the old Lodge Logic line, a little bigger, and with sweeter lines. A little more...stylish? Anyway, wouldn't want to drop this thing on my foot, that's for sure. and I'm pretty careful to make sure that if it's on the stove, I'm in front of it with my little guys running around. To have it hit one of them in the head if they pulled it down on top of themselves would be devastating...but back to the matter at hand.

I heard a lot of people say they disliked the griddles because they heated unevenly. Well, they're right. They do heat very unevenly. So what do I do? Pre-heat it on low, for at least 5-8 minutes before pancake batter ever touches it. And the really nice thing about cast iron, once you have it heated, you can leave your stove on low. I cook on this griddle and never ever turn the heat up past 3 or 3 1/2 (electric range) the whole time. It distributes heat perfectly, holds heat better than any cookware I've ever cooked with and delivers a great, steady heat.

I've also used this for grilled cheese sandwiches and quesadillas, all of which come out perfectly. So I'm a fan. My house sees a LOT of pancakes (and grilled cheese and quesadillas!). So thank you Lodge for making some awesome cookware!

2 comments:

Ohighway said...

MMMMmmm. Good lookin' cakes. As you live on a hill in Lavale, are the pancakes thicker on one side than the other ?

I pass through LaVale on my way to visit my parents in Ohio. (Or Ohighway as my youngest son used to call it) Maybe you could do a post on what it's like in LaVale.

I can say that, if job location wasn't an issue, I'd prefer to live in Western Maryland, or maybe West Virginia, at least based on the overall appearance of the areas.

Rebecca said...

You know what? I could never turn down a blog-entry request. I'll get around to it one of these days.
Lots of folks comment on LaVale - same as you - they pass it on the highway on their way west. I think I live in this tucked-away mountain town, but it's pretty visible to many people.
I'll save the rest for the blog!