Tuesday, July 22, 2008

And The Gold Star Goes To.....

My husband! I meant to write this yesterday, but I got so behind....Monday mornings kill me. But I got up yesterday morning pretty beat - it had been a long, frustrating weekend. First of all, we were all kind of wiped out from coming back from my mom and dad's the day before. Nobody seems to sleep well there - Jonathan gets to bed late, Matthew is in a pack and play in our room and if he wakes in the night and sees us in bed, he crawls out and joins us on the bed and does NOT go back to sleep. So we have to put him back in the crib and leave and come back only when he's back to sleep....which sometimes takes an hour. And then when we have to get up early, he usually wakes up. So we were all a little sleep-deprived. Then when we got home, the toilet broke. We think it had been on it's way out for some time, but this time, some little plastic piece on something called a ballcock broke completely off. Uh oh.
So here we were, Friday night, just home from an impromptu dinner on the road, unpacking suitcases and laptops and pool toys and I have to run to Lowe's for a replacement part while Mark started baths. I got home in time for bedtimes, but realized I bought the wrong part. So first thing in the morning, I'd have to go back to Lowe's, plus make a trip to the grocery since we had just gotten back. Did I mention it was about 1000 degrees this weekend?
The next morning, a quick trip to Lowe's and the market turned into an all-morning affair, and I didn't get back until almost noon and had to make everyone lunch. Then onto the toilet, and I realized for the second time that I had bought the wrong part again. This is after about 5 phone calls to my dad, who knows how to repair a toilet, let me tell you. So he finally convinced me to quit trying to replace the old part; just buy a totally new valve and install it.
I'll spare you the rest of the details, and the two more subsequent trips to Lowe's, but we finally got the toilet working again. Just in time for me to get dinner on the table. Still Saturday. Sunday was better - we actually got in the pool as a family and had a great time! But I was still tired out and bogged down with the heat and having to cook so much and plan meals - it takes so darn long to do all that sometimes!
But back to that Gold Star Award. Why am I giving it to my hubby? Because yesterday morning, upon reflection, I realized something. I had not changed one diaper the entire weekend. I had not dressed one child the entire weekend, in either day clothes or night clothes. I fed them their meals, but not their snacks, and I may have prepared one drink. While I was running around, sweating, fixing toilets and in general feeling sorry for myself, Mark had completely taken over with the kiddos and saw to their needs. True, the British Open was on in the background keeping him happy, but I'll let that slide - he rocked. Thanks, Mark. I needed THAT break!

2 comments:

Ohighway said...

Nice of you to formally recognize your husband the way you did. I hear a lot of women wish out loud that their husbands were more involved raising the kids, but very few actually voice any thanks for the ones who are.

Matching sippy cups, and valves and lids..... now that paints a picture of frustration for me. Been there way too many times...

Rebecca said...

Yeah, I got lucky. He needed some "training", but overall is a huge asset!