Tuesday, July 29, 2008

There's a Bat in My Belfry, I Mean, My Bedroom....

Ever wake up to a strange little sound? Nothing big, just a small, little sound that jolts you from sleep, something that's not quite right. That happened this morning - actually it happened about half an hour ago. Both Mark and I were awakened (rudely, I might say), by what sounded like something hitting the screen in the window from the outside. I opened my eyes just in time to see the flutter of wings at the window, then closed my eyes to go back to sleep. Mark, however, was still looking around. "It was one of those big moths hitting the window", I told him, go back to sleep. "No", he said. "There's a bat in the room". I was like "Mark, are you crazy? I saw a big moth out there!", and he goes "No, I SEE the bat flying around the room." EEK. I opened my eyes just in time to see something flying and furry pass within about a foot of my face. Dove under the covers. Wondering what the heck we were going to do next, when Mark gets out of bed (!), grabs the screen from the window, and then, LEAVES THE ROOM. He shut the door behind him and LEFT ME THERE! MARK!! After that nice post about Mark a few days ago, I was ready to kill him. But I guess he had to use the bathroom, because he was back within a minute, again shutting the door behind him. So there we were. Me, him and the dog all in the room, bat still going crazy, me hiding under the covers, scared to move.

We were trying to use reason - maybe Mr. Bat was attracted to the ceiling fan - the whirring sound the blades make. But how did he get in the house in the first place and why wouldn't he leave? Mark turned off the fan. Bat still flying around. Should we turn on a light? Mark thought that might attract every insect in the neighborhood and give Mr. Bat good things to eat. Finally, after what seemed like an eternity, we didn't see him flying anymore. Did he land somewhere? Like in my closet? Or did he actually fly out the open window?

Well, the jury is still out on that one, because Mark finally persuaded me to leave the room, and he came out a few minutes later - he told me he checked every crevice and no bat. So we assume he flew out. But again, how in the world did he get in? And was he flying around in our room half the night? Yuck. We checked the fireplace flue, but it was shut. Strange.

I like wildlife, I do. I wouldn't survive up here if I didn't. And I guess in the coming years we'll get a chuckle out of this one. But wildlife needs to stay outside. Like spiders. They have 3 acres (and that's just OUR property) to roam around to their heart's content. Why do they need to come in the house? I have no patience for critters in the house, as my family can attest - my broom and my fly swatter have been hard at work in the four years we've lived here. Mr. Bat - you got away with one. Try it again, you might not be so lucky....but on the bright side, our house is curiously bug-free this morning.....

No comments: