Friday, January 4, 2008

Day 3, Still Going Strong

Yeah, this list stuff is definitely working. I've been trying to figure out why, and I think I've got it. Ordinarily, I'd wake up in the morning and kind of have a loose idea of what I wanted to accomplish that day. I'd wake up and say, okay, gotta clean the bathroom. Well, the day would progress, and I'd think, hmmmmm, should be getting to that bathroom. Better go get the mop and bucket. And then one of the kids needs something, and I'd forget, and three hours later, I think - well, should go start the bathroom, right after I get Matthew down for his nap.....and then Matthew never takes a nap, so it gets pushed back more. By the end of the day, I've either resigned myself to doing it the next day, or just slopping through a quick wipedown of the vanity and toilet, and not bothering to mop, or even to switch out some of the towels.

But now. NOW it's different. Because if it makes it to the "list", it must be done. Some things I won't put on the list - things I know I probably won't have time for. But other things, even obscure things, get put on, and I'll feel guilty if I don't get to them, and I just love that satisfaction of scratching something off! Yesterday, I actually organized my sock drawer and my jewelry box. Both were in shambles. Both things I wouldn't have dreamed of doing on a whim, or would've never even thought of if I'd suddenly found myself with a spare half hour. And today, one of my items was to write at least one thank-you note for Christmas gifts, and I actually managed to write four! Off to mop that bathroom, and just for fun, the kitchen, too!

1 comment:

FishFam said...

Don't you just love lists. I have been a list fan for a long time. Mostly because I typically forget everything that I wanted/needed to get done. But, also because it makes me feel good to get it all done.